Okinawa 1988-1991

Okinawa 1988-1991

Friday, October 28, 2005

The Shuri Castle Festival - JapanUpdate.com - Okinawa News, Classifieds, Events, Culture, Forums, and more!


A 15th century castle at the heart of Okinawa’s history is celebrating this weekend, and everyone’s invited to the festival.

The Shuri Castle Festival commemorates the Ryukyu Kingdom era, which dates back to the 1600’s, when Sho Hashi used his leadership skills to bring together three Sanzan Kingdoms peacefully. Shuri Castle was the hub of royal activity, and home of 19 Ryukyuan kings for an era that spanned nearly 500 years.

Beginning tomorrow, and running through Sunday, Shuri Castle Festival will showcase the ancient kingdom’s culture and history through music, dance and drama. Friday and Saturday events unfold at the castle itself, while Sunday brings the action down the hill from Shurijo to Kokosai Street in downtown Naha.

Festival activities, organized jointly by the Shuri Castle Park Center and Ocean Expo Park, begin tomorrow at 10am, when traditional...

3 Comments:

Blogger Darren said...

Yes I saw that. I really don't know what to say other than it saddens me that some people choose to judge all American's simply by the action's of a few. But I am happy for the Okinawan people. I just hope thier economy can survive if they do succeed in one day having all military removed from the island.

October 31, 2005 9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi. I am Okinawan living in Colorado. I like the pictures you post in your page. Are you still in Okinawa?

October 31, 2005 7:30 PM  
Blogger Darren said...

Hi Noriw, Thanks for stopping by. I have alot more pics coming as I'm working on a new photo page now. I do not currently live in Okinawa but still have family there. Hope to get back soon.

November 01, 2005 8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home